Monday 15 July 2013

Apologies




So listen,
Maybe I should provide an introduction into who I am,
And you know that even when I was fourteen I had to be a man. 
Used to feel neglected, like I was on my own. 
My mother forgot about me when my little brother was born. 
Problem child, no surprise. The schools couldn't keep me in check. 
Never really had the influence I needed to teach me respect. 

My apologies for the man I've been. 
I've made a life for me and my family in a world of sin. 
And I'll always remember where my life began. 
No apologies for the man I am. 

Only ever had a few friends, and though we stuck close,
I should of been there for them more, during the times they needed me the most. 
We all found music and drugs as a sanctuary.
Too blind and selfish to see those friends I hurt until after they were buried. 
And as a spiral inclines, gets steeper, there's less and less moments to savour. 
The lines become less defined, and it's more likely to waver. 
Turned to crime at a time when I should of turned over. 
Shots fired, full clip, a jacked up kid with a chip on his shoulder. 
No remorse, all regret, full of hate feeling ten years older. 

My apologies for the man I've been. 
I've made a life for me and my family in a world of sin. 
And I'll always remember where my life began. 
No apologies for the man I am. 

Spent three years on the streets, with not a thing but all the things I'd wanted... damn. 
How the hell was a child supposed to play the part of a man. 
So many cold nights by a camp fire, screaming like a banshee
Hold my head up at the stars "I'm here lord, come and get me!"
Too long to realise you can't build a castle in the sand, 
Too long to see what it takes to be a man. 

My apologies for the man I've been. 
I've made a life for me and my family in a world of sin. 
And I'll always remember where my life began. 
No apologies for the man I am. 

Put my hand to my shoulder, threw that chip to the dirt, 
And I brushed away all that self pity and hurt. 
There's not a stone they can throw that will knock me to the ground,
And I'll only stand taller when they try putting me down. 
Got me a family, a wife and child,
And they're the only things I need in my life to make me smile.

My apologies for the man I've been. 
I've made a life for me and my family in a world of sin. 
And I'll always remember where my life began. 

No apologies for the man I am.

1 comment:

  1. Apologies are fine. It's regret you have to watch out for. I'm not quite sure, but there doesn't seem to be any of that here.

    ReplyDelete